It’s spring, which means some of you may have noticed your bird’s behavior has begun to change a bit which may mean, your bird’s hormonal cycle has begun to change. You can expect many changes but above all expect the unexpected.
- Your bird may regurgitate frequently.
- You may find it panting or crouching down with the wings dropped.
- You may see increased shredding (especially paper toys) and the desire to chew more.
- Nest building awareness in general, hiding in dark areas or searching for potential nesting sites – keep your bird away from these areas.
- As well as you know your bird, they will defend this area and perceive you as a threat
- Keep your hen off the floor because she’s probably seeking an area where she could build a good nest.
- Becoming very protective of a particular chosen nesting site.
- Females may be very interested in sources of calcium or other foods rich in protein like eggs and meat.
- Your bird may be rubbing its vent against different objects which is a sign of masturbation.