We don’t sell bulk bird food in any form because we don’t want to make your bird sick. Aside from that not-so-minor detail if you’re buying re-bagged bird food you don’t know:
1) When it expires (or when it was produced)
2) If it’s been exposed to birds
3) If it’s kept in bins and the bins are not washed out and sanitized before each refill you don’t know what has been collected in the bottom of the bins. This is a breeding ground for molds that can potentially contribute to Aspergillosis (see explanation above)
4) You have no guarantee that fillers have not been added
5) You’re never really sure what you are getting & what you paid for. Bulk food usually doesn’t have an ingredient panel on the bag.
6) Unless their scales are certified by the local health department on a regular basis (as they are for restaurants) bag weights may not be accurate.
7) The country of origin
8) The manufacturer’s warranty which means you can’t get it replaced under warranty should you find the food compromised in any way.
9) What kind of storage building it’s housed in. Much re-bagged bird food comes from people who store their bird food in farm buildings. Many of these buildings have high concentrations of farm animal fecal particulate in the air – which is why they smell like barns.
This insures the bird food comes from a sanitary environment, contains the ingredients listed and the bags and will have full efficacy through the expiration dated imprinted on the sealed bag.
Lastly many of you who buy re-bagged bulk food will say “I’ve never had a problem with it” As someone who sells more than 10,000 pounds of bird food every month I promise you there may come a time you say “until now”
If you feel your birds are wasting bird food – please reach out to us [email protected] for caged bird keeping management solutions that will save you money.